Imagine being unstoppable. Going anywhere your heart desired in your vehicle. Exploring more. Being adventurous. Doing the things you thought you couldn’t because barriers were stopping you. Now, imagine yourself behind the wheel of the 2016 Ford Explorer Platinum. Not only will you be unstoppable… but you will be doing it in luxurious style like never before.
2016 Ford Explorer Platinum
During a recent trip to #ExploreMore in the 2016 Ford Explorer Platinum, I was surprised to learn some of the background research that goes into vehicle development. Did you know that Ford actually sent employees into their customer’s homes to see how they live? To really delve into their lifestyle and learn more about them. Why? In order to properly design a vehicle to fit their end-user. Their customers.
In fact, the 1991 Explorer was engineered specifically for people seeking adventure for their families and a way to express their individuality. I LOVE that! And, yes, Colby and I totally invited them into our home, if needed, for their next recon group. I mean, we had to, right?!
After spending an entire day behind the wheel of the 2016 Ford Explorer Platinum, I am not sure how it could get any better. Of course, there is always technology to keep up with. But, from the inside details to the exterior finishes, there is definitely a distinct reason the Explorer has reigned as America’s best-selling SUV for 25 years.
Now, with even more smart technology found inside and out, Ford customers will notice an enhanced driving experience on the open road (or close to home):
- Front and rear cameras with washers: If you drive through enough mud puddles or creek beds, you are bound to get the exterior cameras dirty. With washers on both, you can have them clean for clear vision to set out on another adventure in no time.
- Enhanced active park assist with perpendicular park assist, park-out assist and semi-automatic parallel parking: Although you may not experience much parallel parking out in the mountains or prairies, once you find your way into a concrete jungle, you will be glad you have active park assist. The vehicle pretty much drives itself. You simply keep a foot on the brake and follow instructions!
- Smart-charging USB ports: These ports can allocate power to two individual devices based on their power needs. If one is at 20% while the other is at 75% battery life, the smart ports will send more power to the one with less power left. Smart, right?!
- Hands-free liftgate: PRO-TIP I learned on the drive: Kick, don’t swing your foot under the liftgate. Women tend to swing and men tend to kick, hence the reason it works for Colby every time without fail. Now ya know!)
- Industry-exclusive 500-watt Sony® Audio System: In fact, the 2016 Explorer Platinum will be the first Ford vehicle to get an all-new 500-watt Sony Audio System with Live Acoustics™ and Clear Phase™ technology. It sounds incredible, Y’all!
- Active Grille Shutters: Upper and lower fascia openings close at highway speeds to reduce drag. At low speeds, the shutters open to deliver airflow to cool the powertrain.
- Air curtains: Standard air curtains create a high-pressure region of air that impacts the outer surface of the wheels and tires. The result is airflow held close to the vehicle body, minimizing drag. This is similar to a feature found on the Ford GT supercar (I have to pick an amazingly charged car to make my point here).
But, more than just the technology, the 2016 Ford Explorer Platinum is comfortable and downright nice to look in inside.
As another first, the Explorer Platinum features a brushed-aluminum Ford oval centered on the wood and leather-wrapped heated steering wheel. Look for unique stitching on the wheel as well that will carry though the rest of the vehicle.
As a matter of fact, Nirvana leather wraps the instrument panel, console armrests, quilted door bolsters and upper door trim. There is real ash wood appliqués adorning the doors and instrument panels. Not to mention, the instrument cluster also features a large 10-inch digital display supported with analog displays – one more first for a Ford-brand vehicle. And I can’t forget to mention the seats. Heated and cooled, as well as segmented back support to adjust to fit your individual needs. Plus, if you need a bit of a massage on your drive, a push of a button on the side of your seat can make that happen as well. Pretty good deal for an SUV made for adventure!
Outside, you will notice signature lighting surrounding the LED headlamps, a standard dual-panel moonroof, premium silver-painted front and rear skid plate elements, and 20-inch wheels with bright machined face and tarnished dark painted pockets.
Notice the word “standard.” Each of these features are included on the Platinum trim. After all, no one said you had to forego luxury to be adventurous!
Under the Hood
For those of you more interested in what you will see under the hood, here are a few specs for you:
- Intelligent four-wheel-drive with Terrain Management System™
- Standard 3.5-liter twin-turbo EcoBoost V6 that produces 365 horsepower at 5,500 rpm and 350 lb.-ft. of torque at 3,500 rpm
- 6-speed SelectShift® Automatic transmission
Check with your local Ford dealer for pricing and availability on the 2016 Ford Explorer Platinum. Be unstoppable!