Luxury Car with Both Comfort and Power: 2014 Lexus IS
Disclosure: I attended an all-expenses paid trip to Austin, Texas to drive the 2014 Lexus IS. No other compensation was given. All opinions are 100% my own.
Imagine the comfort of being seated well into a luxury car. Not just planted in the car, but driving ever so smoothly over the blacktop to your destination. Welcome to the 2014 Lexus IS.
2014 Lexus IS
When I was invited to Austin to attend the lifestyle media wave with Lexus, I was completely unsure of what to expect. But, my brother has worked with Lexus for several years, and since it has his full support, I knew it had to be a quality automobile company. Honestly though, I never had a doubt. And upon stepping into the 2014 Lexus IS 250… I was blown away. This was truly a luxury car with both comfort and power.
Being able to listen as the technicians from Lexus described the vehicle, I was overwhelmed with how much thought actually goes into building a car. And overwhelmed as in impressed at the process and engineering involved. Plus, being able to ride and just talk to those who have crafted this beautiful car, we were even able to offer suggestions and ideas for the next model. It can be fun to know that you, as a consumer, have a voice.
For instance, consider the convenience features that go into a vehicle. The Lexus IS has an incredible list of features that make it a fun, comfortable, and entertaining ride:
- Bluetooth® wireless phone technology
- Cruise control
- Cup holders located in the center console (2)
- Dust/pollen interior air filter
- Electrochromic rearview mirror with compass (without Navigation)
- First aid kit
- 60/40 Split Foldable rear headrests
- HomeLink programmable garage door opener
- Lexus Personalized Settings (LPS) to allow certain electronic settings to be tailored to owner preference (programmable by Lexus dealers)
- Power door locks with anti lock-out
- Power windows with auto up/down with jam protection
- Rear armrest with storage box
- Remote trunk lid release
- Retained accessory power for operation of power windows and moonroof
- Stainless steel scuff plates (front doors)
- Speed-sensitive, shift-linked automatic door lock/unlock
And that is not even an exhaustive list. This was simply a mention of some of my favorites.
I have mentioned before that my foremost thought when I step into a vehicle is safety. If I am going to be carrying my kids around with me, I want them to be safe. Therefore, from a mom perspective, the 2014 Lexus IS has an extensive collection of safety features that include:
- Automatic Locking Retractor (ALR) and Emergency Locking Retractor (ELR) function for all positions except driver (driver’s only equipped with ELR)
- Child Restraint Seat (CRS) top tether anchor brackets (adopted to comply with phase-in of the new CRS Anchorage Points Regulation)
- Supplemental Restraint System (SRS) – Driver’s and front passenger’s airbag, Driver’s and front passenger’s knee airbag, Front seat-mounted side airbag, Front and rear (2) side curtain airbags and Rear side
- Front and rear door side impact beams
- Front and rear energy-managing crumple zones
- Anti-lock Braking System (ABS) with Electronic Brakeforce Distribution (EBD) and Brake Assist (BA)
- Impact absorbing door and body construction
- Three-point belts for all seating positions, including center rear, front and outboard rear with force-limiting pretensioners; height adjustable front shoulder belt anchors
- Location specific Tire Pressure Monitor System (TPMS)
- Traction Control (TRAC)
- Vehicle Dynamics Integrated Management (VDIM) with cut-off switch
Feel safe? I know that being able to feel as though my children are safe in the car is foremost. Everything else… comfort and power… simply make the ride come full circle and more enjoyable. Plus, Lexus offers a terrific selection of factory options to fully customize the car to fit your style, your needs. The back-up camera has quickly become one of my “must-have” options. The safety and ease of this little piece of technology is simply invaluable.
One feature I had not yet seen on a car, and we saw tested during our drive, was the Lane Departure Warning with Smart Beam. If you have the ability to turn it on or off upon entering the car, and it can prove very useful. If you begin to sway out of your lane of traffic, the warning system will go off alerting you to correct your lane position. Perfect for long road trips… and for teaching teens to drive. The Blind Spot Monitor with Rear Cross Traffic Alert is a great accessory, if you will, to this option.
A combination of “aggressive elegance,” a more powerful road presence and a stronger brand identity help make the new IS models more alluring than ever.
Overall, the 2014 Lexus IS is an incredible vehicle. Whether you are looking for comfort in a well-made car or power from a V6 engine, both the IS 250 and IS 350 are made to deliver. From where this mom is sitting, it is a luxury car I would be proud to carry my family, friends, or colleagues around town in.
What would be your most desirable feature? Would it be convenience or safety based?
*All pictures courtesy of Lexus.