We are taught early in life, in one way or another, that things are not always as they seem. Life is full of twists and turns that we may not expect. If you’ve seen Disney’s Maleficent, you learn that there is more to a story than what is right in front of you.
How to Handle Life’s Twists
Think about the unexpected twists in your own life. How have you handled them and how have you taught your children to maneuver through them? Colby and I have had our fair share of unexpected life events. For our older two children, it has been a journey that we are seeing the fruits of as they grow into adulthood. Fortunately, it seems they have done fairly well with the twists and turns life has thrown our way. It’s definitely a daily adventure as we continue teaching our younger children as well. The learning never stops for any of us.
How? Well, here are a few tips we have learned along the way for how to handle life’s twists:
- Stay united. There is no doubt that, together, we were able to get through each and every fork in the road. Having the proper people on your side is crucial. Maleficent found her closest companionship in a raven, Diaval. We all need, at the very least, that one person.
- Go THROUGH the turn. Life is going to throw things at you. Be prepared and go through the situation. There really is no way around them typically. Tackle one day at a time and, eventually, those days turn into weeks, months, years… and you will find yourself on the other side.
- Make changes. We grow through experiences. The good and the bad. Know that there will be circumstances that require change from you, as well as others. Often times you will also find that those changes will prepare you for other events and are normally for the better. Again, notice the change you see in Maleficent as she travels her path in the story.
- Stay positive. I know. This is a tough one. Keep your chin up and push through. Forward progress is just that. PROGRESS. It may seem like it’s moving slowly, but it will come. See #2 above!
- Learn and move on. We don’t always like to be taught in the game of life. But, it is necessary for growth and maturity. Life experiences bring wisdom. Learn what you can from every twist and turn… and move on. These experiences bend and shape us into the people we become. Grasp the opportunity to become a better person. You might be surprised at the lesson Maleficent learns.
I am sure we would all appreciate an easy life that leads us down a straight, fun-filled path. Unfortunately, that is not the way it typically goes. But, those twists and turns, good or bad, are there to mold us. Embrace the challenges, adventures and triumphs.
You never know how the tale might end.
How have you handled the twists life has thrown your way?
Disney’s Maleficent puts a contemporary twist on the classic tale we grew up with. The tale that we all know, but the story we do not. We learn that there are two sides to every story and that life is full of twists and turns. We can see how Maleficent, played by Angelina Jolie, maneuvers those events in Disney’s wickedly fun twist on the classic Sleeping Beauty. The movie will be available on Blu-ray™ and Digital HD on November 4th. Plus, you can also view the film on Disney Movies Anywhere.