Disclosure: This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Orajel Kids.
If you have a toddler, you may understand the power struggles that accompany that age. They are becoming very independent and want to do things their way. Typically, that is all well and good. But, there are some areas where I am not willing to give. Brushing their teeth is one of those areas. Good dental health is important.
Encourage Kids to Brush Their Teeth
Fortunately, after 5 kids, Colby and I have picked up a few fun ways to encourage kids to brush their teeth. Of course, each child is different, but there are a few ideas at least that work for most of them. And, yes, sometimes using humor or simply making it a bit more entertaining is the best way to tackle the task at hand. I am totally alright with that in this instance.
- Let them choose the “tools“. Toothbrush, toothpaste, flossers. Give the child a few good options from Orajel Kids and let them pick the one they want to use. As I said, they are finding their independence and giving them a choice is empowering. The fun fruity flavor of the Orajel™ Bubble Guppies™ Anticavity Fluoride Toothpaste reels my girls into the bathroom for brushing every time.
- Share a story. Kids love to hear stories. Why not turn your bathroom routine into a story time as well. Whether you tell a fable about sugar bugs or tales about the tooth fairy, make it entertaining and educational. It gets them excited about brushing.
- Relate the brushing technique to a familiar song. For example, sing “Wheels on the Bus” or make up your own words to the tune to encourage proper brushing technique. Plus, I have found the best way to show them how to do it right is by standing next to them and brushing your teeth as well.
- Take turns. Not only will this teach them an important life skill, but it also helps teach how mommy/daddy brush. Again, proper brushing technique is vital when protecting against cavities and keeping gums healthy. The colored bristle guide on Orajel Kids toothbrushes even teaches kids where to place the toothpaste. Every bit helps and Orajel has you covered during every stage of oral development.
- Bubbles. You know how when you brush and bubbles form on your teeth? See who can make the most bubbles while you brush. They scrub on their little teeth, teeth get cleaned, and everyone has a fresh mouth afterward.
- Reward good brushing. Just as you compliment other good deeds, be sure to encourage a good job in brushing their teeth. Try a sticker chart or other ideas that work best for your child. Positive reinforcement can go a long way.
Teaching proper brushing is important but there is no reason why it can’t be fun as well. If they make a little mess, it’s easy to clean up. Learning is a process and you can play an important part in helping them get it right.
How do you encourage kids to brush their teeth?
Orajel Smilestones Photo Contest
BabyCenter has teamed up with Orajel to celebrate happy milestones with the Smilestones Photo Contest. The entries are in and they are looking for your votes! One winner will receive a trip for four to Beaches® Resorts. Stop by and vote between June 30 and July 11, 2014.