Although my oldest is 21 years old, I still remember what it was like being a first-time parent. The anxiety, worry, and stress were completely distinguished by the overwhelming love I had for my baby. Being a mom changed my entire world and meant that everything as I knew it was about to change. 5 kids later, I am still learning. But, one thing I think I did figure out over the years was what a new parent REALLY needs at home.
When our youngest was born 7 years ago, it was a whole new ballgame as far as technology. Things had changed so much since we had our first, but the baby essentials stay the same. Even now, as I am nearing that “grandmother” stage of life, I keep an eye on baby products. Besides, I’m obsessed with babies and just love looking at all the little things for them! Teaming up with The Baby Cubby gave me the opportunity to not only do more research, but to drool over more baby stuff as I dream about my future grandkids. More importantly though, it’s allowing me to give you a great starting list of baby essentials for first-time parents:
- Car Seat — When it comes to the safety of your child, there’s no way around a car seat. From the very time they are in a car, they need to be strapped in. The Pascal UPPAbaby Mesa Car Seat, available from The Baby Cubby, is one of, if not THE, easiest car seat base to install. The indicators on the base change from red to green once installed correctly, making it easy to see when your seat is installed safely.
- Diaper Bag — Style here is completely up to you. There are many designs to choose from based on what you feel works best for you and your baby. From the luxurious look of the Storksak to the multi-functional design of the Babymel Robyn, there are plenty of ways to carry everything you need for the baby with you wherever you go.
- Bibs and Burp Cloths — Because, well, although the cutest little things, babies drool and can be messy.
- Baby Carrier — Wrap the baby up close and give your arms a rest with a baby carrier or sling.
- Baby Bathtub — Those first baths are always “fun,” so make it a little smoother with a baby bathub.
- Stroller/Jogger — When you’re ready to get moving with the baby, the City Select LUX stroller is a perfect way to do so in style! It has an advanced brake and all-wheel suspension to keep baby safe, plus you will love the luxurious fabrics and slate color. Whether jogging through the park or walking around the mall, a good stroller will come in handy.
- Swaddle Blankets — There are so many options when it comes to swaddle blankets, so go as plain or as fancy as you like. As long as it serves its purpose in swaddling your baby well, it will work!
- Nursing Cover — IF you want to cover up while breastfeeding, a good nursing cover will be essential to you. Just like with the diaper bags, you can choose one based on your very own fashion style. The color and patterns are designed for you and will only add to that “new-mom glow” you are already sporting. Check out Covered Goods at The Baby Cubby for a large selection of designs!
- Playard — Going to be traveling with the baby? You can’t exactly take the crib along, but you can bring the Nuna Sena Playard. It’s lightweight and easy to set up, making it ideal for travel. Pull it outside on nice days or use it to keep the baby entertained, but safe, while you cook dinner. A playard can even help manage naptime when you need to keep the baby close by while you finish work.
Okay, this is not an exhaustive list, but it will definitely get you started. Enjoy those first moments with your baby, that’s the most important thing!
What Makes The Baby Cubby Different?
The Baby Cubby is for every parent out there who has ever felt overwhelmed or discouraged about becoming a parent. Our Baby Cubby team is made up of parents who have been there. They know what it’s like and they’re passionate about encouraging, inspiring, and reminding parents how amazing they are and how important their role is. The way that do this is by finding the highest quality and safest baby gear to provide to parents in a fun shopping experience. They do things like test strollers on our stroller track, price match everyday — even amazon, as well as offer free shipping nationwide (on orders over $49) at BabyCubby.com and actively engage with parents via social media and our Cubby Community Blog to discuss some of the difficult topics of parenting.