Last month we introduced the 2017 TOTY Specialty Toy of the Year nominees and enjoyed sharing those with each of you. This month, we’re bringing you the Outdoor Toy of the Year nominees. Fortunately, we still have pretty decent weather here in Texas for getting outside and testing them all out… and we’ve had a blast doing so! Just take a look at the toys that made the list and you will quickly understand why!
2017 Outdoor Toy of the Year
The Toy Industry Association (TIA) compiles lists for their annual Toy of the Year (TOTY) awards program each year that helps shoppers in their search for the perfect holiday gift! The #TOTY2017 nominees are nominated by the toy companies themselves and finalists are selected by industry experts. Winners are then chosen by retailers, journalists, bloggers, academics and other members of the industry — as well as consumers such as yourself! Plus, when you cast your vote at ToyAwards.org, you could win big in the Toy of The Year Awards Sweepstakes!
Thanks to the Toy Industry Association, we're introducing you to the 2017 Outdoor Toy of the Year nominees. #TOTY2017 AD
Posted by 7 on a Shoestring – Staci Salazar on Friday, December 9, 2016
The Toy Industry Association sent us most of the toys in the outdoor category and we discussed our favorite features of each one in the video above. Let us now introduce you to all eight Outdoor Toy of the Year nominees:
- 3-in-1 EZ Fold Wagon from Radio Flyer — Designed as a full sized wagon for 2 kids that folds compactly and offers 3 different modes. With an easy one hand fold, you can take or store the wagon anywhere. The wagon features 3 modes: 2 kids riding, flatbed hauling, and bench seating. Simply unhook the side panel to move the wagon from hauling or riding mode into bench seating mode. The thick padded seat provides a comfortable ride, while the telescoping handle offers easy transport when folded. The DuraClean fabric is durable and can be easily wiped clean. It also features quiet ride tires and 2 cup holders attached in front.
- Air Hogs Helix Sentinel Drone from Spin Master Ltd. — The easy-to-operate Sentinel Drone flies indoors and outdoors and utilizes height lock stabilization and obstacle avoidance for a smooth piloting experience. The Helix Sentinel Drone comes complete with a remote control, HD 120-degree wide-angle lens camera, 720p Wi-Fi streaming capabilities, and a 4GB Micro SD card to store your footage. You can live stream with up to 2 Smart Devices at once and easily save your in-flight video.
- Bunch O Balloons from Zuru — Fill and Tie 100 Water Balloons in Less than 60 Seconds! The global Kick Starter sensation Bunch O Balloons is the hottest thing this spring! Say goodbye to the stress and mess of filling individual water balloons. Simply connect, fill and make hundreds of water balloons and let the balloon warfare begin!
- Hot Wheels® Sky Shock™ RC Vehicle from Mattel, Inc. — This precision on-ground remote-controlled race vehicle hurtles down the track breaking records and leaving competition in the dust. Then with the push of a button Sky Shock spreads its wings and takes off, climbing, soaring and stunting across the sky! This revolutionary remote control vehicle has enhanced stability for a smooth driving experience and impressive speed. The push-button transformation feature is EPIC and the large propellers and wings mean Sky Shock is faster on the ground and in the air with significantly faster takeoff and climbing capabilities!
- Nerf N-Strike Modulus Tri-Strike Blaster from Hasbro, Inc. — Build your own blaster for each mission with the Nerf Modulus Tri-Strike blaster from Hasbro! The Tri-Strike blaster features 3 different ways to blast that can all be used separately, or combined, for custom configurations. Bring an entire arsenal to the battlefield with the versatility and power of the Tri-Strike blaster!
- Sky Viper v2400FPV HD Streaming Video Drone with FPV Headset from SkyRocket Toys — Take your exploration to new heights with this Sky Viper v2400FPV Streaming Drone with FPV Headset. This drone is equipped with a high-definition camera to capture all its high-flying adventures, so use your smartphone to keep an eye on the overhead action. Experience each aerial journey first-hand with the included headset, which lets you watch videos from the drone’s point of view. You can also use the included phone clip to attach your device to the controller, which boasts numerous features to make the drone easy and fun to operate.
- VEX Robotics Zip Flyer from HEXBUG — This robotic gadget is capable of shooting propellers over 30 feet in the air! Pull the zip-cord stick to release, the faster you pull, the higher they’ll go. The excitement doesn’t stop there, the VEX Robotics Zip Flyer can be built for both hand-held and tabletop action. Two ways to build, two ways to launch.
- Xtreme Cycle Moto-Cam from WickedCoolToys — Young cyclists can capture flips, tricks and sharp turns just like they do in extreme cycling! The patented gyroscopic stabilization system is made up of a flywheel mounted in the rear, as well as an all four bar linkage steering system. This system allows for ramp jumping, driving on various terrains, and even recovering from crashes. The cycle is specially designed to always right itself after it falls so it has non-stop action and has front and rear shock system to absorb bumps and rocky terrain. The remote control not only steers the cycle but it also allows cycle enthusiasts to start and stop the video at any time – even in mid-jump!
The girls had so much fun testing out these toys! I don’t want to tell you their favorite and sway your vote — but I can tell you that they have not wanted to come in to even eat dinner with these gadgets! Not a bad thing when they’ve found a new passion for being outside.
Ready to cast your vote? Don’t forget, a vote in each category enters you for a chance to win all of the toys in that category!
Vote at ToyAwards.org through Sunday, January 15, 2017, at 11:59 pm ET. Sweepstakes winners will be announced on February 17, 2017, as the TOTY awards ceremony kicks off “Toy Fair Week.”